[Xen-users] XPC 1.1 vs 1.5

Hi,

I am about to purchase a 48 core (4 CPUs * 12 cores/CPU) Dell server.  From what I understand, XCP 1.1 only supports up to 32 cores (for both host and guest systems), but XCP 1.5 (which should be GA in Dec 2011) will support all 48 cores without any problems. My questions are:

  1. Can I still install XCP 1.1 on a 48 core machine and it will work effectively (and just ignore the 16 cores that it can't use?) Any issues?
  2. In December, once XCP 1.5 comes out, will it be easy and "safe" to run an upgrade from XCP 1.1 to 1.5 or would it be wiser to do a total re-install? Similarily, for the GUEST virtualized machines (some of which may be HVM Linux guests), will I need to "upgrade" those guests so that the virtualized guest can now see 48 cores or will they automatically see them once the host has been upgraded to 1.5? Would I need to do any reconfiguring of the guest OS to see these new cores?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Gautam