[Xen-users] small cluster storage configuration?

Hi Folks,

I've been running a 2-node, high-availability cluster for a while. I've just acquired 2 more servers, and I've been trying to figure out my options for organizing my storage configuration.

Basic goal: provide a robust, high-availability platform for multiple Xen VMs.

Current configuration (2 nodes):
- 4 drives each (1TB/drive)
- md software raid10 across the 4 drives on each machine
-- md devices for Dom0 /boot / swap + one big device
-- 2 logical volumes per VM (/ and swap)
-- VM volumes replicated across both nodes, using DRBD
-- pacemaker, heartbeat, etc. to migrate production VMs if a node fails

I now have 2 new servers - each with a lot more memory, faster CPUs (and more cores), also 4 drives each. So I'm wondering what's my best option for wiring the 4 machines together as a platform to run VMs on.

Seems like my first consideration is how to wire together the storage, within the following constraints:

- want to use each node for both processing and storage (only have 4U of rackspace to play with, made the choice to buy 4 general purpose servers, with 4 drives each, rather than using some of the space for a storage server)

- 4 gigE ports per server - 2 reserved for primary/secondary external links, 2 reserved for storage & heartbeat comms.

- total of 16 drives, in groups of 4 (if a node goes down, it takes 4 drives with it) - so I can't simply treat this as 16 drives in one big array (I don't think)

- want to make things just a bit easier to manage than manually setting up pairs of DRBD volumes per VM

- would really like to make it easier to migrate a VM from any node to any other (for both load leveling and n-way fallback) - but DRBD seems to put a serious crimp in this

- sort of been keeping my eyes on some of the emerging cloud technologies, but they all seem to be aimed at larger clusters

- sheepdog seems like the closest thing to what I'm looking for, but it seems married at the hip to KVM (unless someone has ported it to support Xen while I wasn't looking)

So... just wondering - anybody able to share some thoughts and/or experiences?

Thanks very much,

Miles Fidelman