RE: [Xen-users] XEN - networking and performance

Jeff Sturm wrote:

One of the traps we've run into when virtualizing moderately I/O-heavy hosts, is not sizing our disk arrays right. Not in terms of capacity (terabytes) but in spindles. If each physical host normally has 4 dedicated disks, for example, virtualizing 8 of these onto a domU attached to a disk array with 16 drives effectively cuts that ratio from 4:1 down to 2:1. Latency goes up, throughput goes down.

Not only that, but you also guarantee that the I/O is across different areas of the disk (different partitions/logical volumes) and so you also virtually guarantee a lot more seek activity.
--
Simon Hobson