Re: [Xen-users] Windows XP BSD on Xen 3.2-1 after Windows Update: GPLPV issue?

Hi James,

As always thanks for your prompt reply - much appreciated.

> When you say "uninstalling the GPLPV drivers causes it to hang", do you
> mean that if you uninstall the drivers completely, reboot, then install
> the update you still get a crash?

My wrong. The machine I'm working on is on a high latency connection and
therefor everything is slow. I was updating the drivers using an RDP
session (much faster) instead of console/VNC. Duh...

> Do you know which update is causing you the problem?
>
> If the hal.dll is corrupt it would have to be before GPLPV is loaded,
> which I think means that your filesystem has been corrupted prior to
> rebooting.

I've been able to reproduce the problem and that makes a file system
corruption rather unlikely. I restore an image backup from last year
September (which includes GPLPV 213 XP). Everything works. Then I apply
Microsoft Updates and after a reboot I'm getting the BSD. I've repeated
this process a few times; every time with the same result. Unless the
Microsoft Updates would corrupt the filing system of course...

> I have an XP test machine, so if you can tell me which update you
> install that causes this crash I can try and reproduce it.

I managed to uninstall the 213 GPLPV drivers, however that results in a
BSD after I hit Ctrl-Alt-Del. Unfortunately the screen disappears too
quickly but Windows is saying something along the lines of "in order to
protect your information I've just crashed".

So I restored from the original image once more and simply installed the
GPLPV 238 drivers on top of the 213 GPLPV drivers. This seemed to have
worked; after a reboot I could log on and so far no more BSD.

However it is not possible to use the network, even if I give the
machine a static IP address.
ipconfig /all reveals the correct/expected MAC address but an address of
169.. get's assigned even though the network properties show the static
address I put there (ipconfig on the commandline however does not). When
setting the interface to DHCP, I don't see incoming DHCP requests on the
dhcp server.

thanks,
Jan