Re: [Xen-users] guest creation problem on pv dom0 kernel

  • To: Xen List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 18:32:43 +0530
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 09 Mar 2011 05:04:36 -0800

Continuing in the same thread where I had reported a problem in create
PV guest on non VT machine
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2011-03/msg00119.html

 after discussing it here and failed attempt to create PV guest on a
non VT machine.
I confirmed on virt-manager list
https://www.redhat.com/archives/virt-tools-list/2011-March/msg00032.html

excerpts from above link
"If your machine does not have VT support, you will only be able to install a
PV guest, and the only way to install a PV guest on linux is using a direct
kernel/initrd boot (basically a URL install)."

and as Cole Robinson suggests on above link to  mount -o loop back for
ISO trick does not work I have tested for Ubuntu 10.04.The
virt-manager expects a url similar to Debian/Ubuntu mirror format.

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 1:33 PM, Gémes Géza <geza@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Could you try to create and start a vm with plain xm tools, without the help
> of libvirt based solutions, maybe your libvirt version doesn't know how to
> use the xen 4.0 utils or the pvops kernel?

I am trying out this option now.I want to know in the xen config file

========below is just a sample I am not using it =============
name ="vm01"
kernel ="/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11.12-xenU"
root ="/dev/hda1"
memory =128
disk =
['file:/vserver/images/vm01.img,hda1,w','file:/vserver/images/vm01-swap.img,hda2,w']
nics=1
dhcp ="off"
ip="192.168.0.101"
netmask="255.255.255.0"
gateway="192.168.0.1"
hostname="vm01.example.com"
extra="3"

What should be the value of parameter kernel.As I am trying to create
a PV guest on a non VT 64 bit machine.
The guest is 32 bit PV.Do I need to compile a PV  DomU kernel or what
exactly do I give in place of kernel?
I tried using a command xen-create-image also and that does not exists
on my system.