Re: [Xen-users] Swap: create or not?

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 6:58 PM, Mauro <mrsanna1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 11 February 2011 11:38, Henrik Langos <hlangos-xen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>> I'd argue against swap in domU if you can avoid it.
>>
>> If your application needs that much more RAM you'll be better off
>> giving that VM more RAM instead.
>
> That's what I was thinking when ask if create a swap or not.
> If my system needs swap then it means that I need more ram.
> So it's better to give more ram to my DomU rather than swap.

I still think swap is necessary, depends on the circumstances.

For example, I have a server (running java) with 1.5G memory, and
currently 134M swap usage. There has been no swap in/swap out activity
(as monitored from vmstat), so whatever is using the memory is not
actually using it at the moment. While this might be a sign of memory
leak, currently I'm happy enough letting it use swap space as opposed
to having to add more memory.

--
Fajar