Re: [Xen-users] which processor family to select for Dom0 kernel based on Linux 2.6.18

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 12:33:00AM +0530, Tapas Mishra wrote:

> > Like said, the 2.6.26-2-686 kernel you are running is NOT optimized for
> > Core2 Duo, it's _generic_ kernel.
> >
> > You can compile generic 686 2.6.18 kernel yourself.
> You told me that I have 3 options
>  for dom0 kernel
>
>  option 1) use http://xenbits.xen.org/linux-2.6.18-xen.hg - no extra
> patches needed
>  option 2) use pv_ops dom0 kernel from git.kernel.org Jeremy's tree -
> no extra patches needed
>  option 3) use normal 2.6.3x kernel and apply novell/opensuse
> forward-ported xen patches
>

> I want to compile the kernel for Dom0 so I downloaded one from
> http://www.xen.org/products/xen_source.html was it the right step ?
> I downloaded the second download mentioned there
> Linux 2.6.18 with Xen 3.4.x support source tarball, updated for Xen 3.4.2
> do I need to download the hypervisor given there seperately or this
> one has hypervisor also which I can compile along with this kernel

Yes, you _always_ need the Xen hypervisor (and tools), no matter which dom0
kernel
you have.

Dom0 can actually be OpenSolaris, NetBSD, or Linux (multiple versions of Linux).

> then
>  I copied the conf file from /boot from a machine which is also having
> Core2Duo and CentOS installed on it on which xm list shows me Dom0
> running
> and the this conf file I am using on the Debian machine to be able to
> compile the kernel so that I get less errors while doing so I came to
> know that
> RHEL,SLES,CentOS all other major vendors which ship xen on the DVDs
> which normal users use the conf file for each of them are different
> I searched through your wiki
> Read
> http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/Dom0
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/Xen#Dom0.28host.29
>
> and on this link
> http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenParavirtOps
> there is mentioned about
>

> I opened the conf file copied from CentOS but I did not found some of
> the parameters which you have mentioned on wiki should be present now
> that is where my problem is how to get them as it is mentioned on your
> wiki
> or where can I locate them

Linux 2.6.18-xen is not pvops (ParavirtOps) kernel!

pvops is the upstream Linux (kernel.org) kernel framework for
paravirtualization, including Xen support.

linux-2.6.18-xen is the original "xenlinux" kernel, from pre-pvops era.
pvops was first introduced (with Xen support) in linux 2.6.23.

-- Pasi