Re: [Xen-users] switching kernel from dom0 to guest with pv-grub

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 4:15 AM, Mark Chaney <macscr@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I know how to do it from the config level, but im assuming I probably need
> to install grub

Not really. pygrub/pv-grub will simply read /boot/grub/menu.lst (which
you can create manually).

> and download a xen kernel on the guest as well?

Yes

> They don’t
> have any of that installed since they are currently using the kernel from
> the dom0.

for RHEL/Centos domU, you can simply run "yum install kernel-xen" from
within domU.

> The problem is that really
> needs one disk per filesystem, so it can mount and manipulate that
> filesystem.

It doesn't matter. Using pygrub or dom0-located kernel does not change
your domU disk/filesystem layout.

Here's my domU's /boot/grub/menu.lst (relevant part only). It's
somewhat old, so just adjust to whatever kernel-xen version you have
installed.

default=0
timeout=5
title Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server (2.6.18-92.1.13.el5xen)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-92.1.13.el5xen ro root=/dev/hda1
        initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.18-92.1.13.el5xen.img

And here's the relevant part of my domU's config

disk = [ 'phy:/dev/rootVG/dns01lv,hda1,w',
        'phy:/dev/rootVG/dns01swaplv,hda2,w',
        ]
bootloader="/usr/bin/pygrub"

The bootloader line replaces the previous kernel and ramdisk line.

--
Fajar