Re: [Xen-users] Xen and iSCSI

Hi,

Am Sonntag, 29. Januar 2006 15:24 schrieb Pasi Kärkkäinen:
[..]
> > define better!? It is easier to set up. But if you want to use migration
> > it becomes complicatet. If you use more than one Xen host you have to
> > setup on each Xen host the block devices (iscsi, raid, lvm). And i'm not
> > sure what happens if you have two active raid1 on the same iscsi devices
> > on different Xen hosts!?
> CLVM (Cluster LVM) is supposed to handle this.. it allows to create volumes
> to shared storage (FC, iSCSI, etc).

ah. It sounds suspect to me but reading the clvm docs it should really handle
this. This is really an option.

> And Xen itself handles the migration.. access to block device on host1 is
> stopped when the access is started on host2 (after the migration).

It seems a lot of people do this this way. And there were never any problems
in this setup?

> > > Then you could more easily upgrade the storage servers and only rebuild
> > > the raid in dom0.. domU's wouldn't see any problems / failures.
> > Well, rebuild will take the same amount of network traffic. I'm not sure
> > if it is really better?
> > My idea is to have the domU not depend on the block device configuration
> > of dom0. So its easier to migrate domUs.
> Personally I'd like to keep all the raid/iscsi stuff out of domU's.. to
> keep domU's simple and easy to manage :)

OK, everyone can have his own opinion :-) Perhaps when i get deeper in the
setup i will agree to you :-)
For migrating existing servers it could really be better to get the iscsi and
raid stuff out of the domUs. So the change to the servers will be minimal.

--
greetings

eMHa