RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] Should we give up transparent virtualization ?

  • To: "Tristan Gingold" <Tristan.Gingold@xxxxxxxx>, <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 08:41:53 -0700
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 30 May 2006 08:42:08 -0700

Transparent paravirtualization has little value to developers
or technology providers but definitely has value for distros
and software/system/support providers.  Note for example
that Vmware's PVI (for x86) has transparent paravirtualization
because Vmware (the largest provider in the world of
virtualization software) considers it valuable.

My opinion: we should NOT give up this feature.  The
recent VP patches are critical to catching up with
Xen/x86 functionality so we have to accept some short
term minor regressions for this.  I think all other
patches (including event channel) should not be accepted
if they break transparent paravirtualization.