Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] kernel build performance data with dom0_VP modeopen

On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 10:23:10AM -0700, Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort
Collins) wrote:
> At first, I suspected that this degradation was entirely
> due to the fact that large (64MB?) kernel pages were
> now causing many more TLB/VHPT misses because they are
> fragmented into 16KB pages.  However, I am
> seeing that domU performance is also reduced by ~3%,
> and domU had this fragmentation prior to VP.

Current the dom0vp model implementation flushes all tlb/vhpt
when granted page is unmapped from dom0.
I think this affects significantly on domU performance.

> Jingke, have you performed the same measurement on domU?
> If so, can you post your results?
>
> Anybody have any other ideas as to what might be
> causing this (major) performance degradation?

For dom0vp model, VHPT size is reduced to 64KBytes to avoid
triggering software lock detection.
For P=M model, its size remain 64MB.
It would be interesting to measure on P=M model with 64KBtyes VHPT size.
(Edit VHPT_SIZE_LOG2 in xen/include/asm-ia64/vhpt.h)

Thanks.

> Thanks,
> Dan

yamahata