[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [PATCH] arm/nospec: Make nospec helpers always_inline


  • To: "Andrew Cooper" <andrew.cooper3@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Orzel, Michal" <michal.orzel@xxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Alejandro Vallejo" <alejandro.garciavallejo@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2026 14:21:28 +0200
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=amd.com; dmarc=pass action=none header.from=amd.com; dkim=pass header.d=amd.com; arc=none
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector10001; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-ChunkCount:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-0:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-1; bh=0L0TIWnnKQVHg5t9SZCiwB1zz6+si0noHsKHjoNk8iw=; b=aAZ+AK0pO6mkTArqQ/XT8HuEhymaxRiwHumdfGDfrgN7a7xxfCluJvWBWQ2Jtb0qPwsQHDb3MqN0BFv5HD8WV9Em1ZWSYyuJso3+SfFRdzwAJfks7jNH649XUhoo7pEBFX4i71HIiTbkDtCdObZ0lwiAY5/VL1yLxSBjw5RXkAMl2zRREJgrIi43mK4o0BG1cM9LKtRMOY8+6s0dKnJdaUDaXFydMGK3Sh0kY34cNIrzphcU0xwTQwxTllQj4vlbskwkTsvnq3elL1jiNZzRImtpr4pMTdCaomfTKKnyMj8zP4kUDWOLtCDy/31B/FyyA6j7kgmvlUTEdCpR6yanQw==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector10001; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=O+xmDdBpY4l+ybgD2Qu+1HolYym40xVO+8cT4+8S2aTamSI/fUW1RMyY8wcq40yOUOUxZQuFFS220Xv3nKyu+9/GR+xyNBxDg/AgFSjwERKtacdnXDhAuuTxc1iYoU3oBCctG8VrrcYXdI4UKvXmkyIssFI89IyUXfZ50sMy0Kzj3P0p5Nf59FYdMHYmoKglKZnzfct39rx+W7Ax9A2q5U0YcWmEUkpTe0JKJGqNXLDy8T7bpsWnkdP4s5q5lQ3nU6hu+ajrRTYYJ75G7b9AeL/JBUUZpPrS+1sJlqrcDhTAwVAyUOSlRlHWVprA9EwKyP2kydVjBdlhHH0l+5+VuQ==
  • Authentication-results: eu.smtp.expurgate.cloud; dkim=pass header.s=selector1 header.d=amd.com header.i="@amd.com" header.h="From:Date:Subject:Message-Id:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-SenderADCheck"
  • Authentication-results: mx.microsoft.com 1; dkim=none (message not signed) header.d=none;dmarc=none action=none header.from=amd.com;
  • Cc: "Stefano Stabellini" <sstabellini@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Julien Grall" <julien@xxxxxxx>, "Bertrand Marquis" <bertrand.marquis@xxxxxxx>, "Volodymyr Babchuk" <Volodymyr_Babchuk@xxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 06 Oct 2026 12:21:56 +0000
  • List-id: Xen developer discussion <xen-devel.lists.xenproject.org>

On Tue Oct 6, 2026 at 12:51 PM CEST, Andrew Cooper wrote:
> On 06/10/2026 11:45 am, Orzel, Michal wrote:
> >
> > On 06-Oct-26 12:31, Alejandro Vallejo wrote:
> >> While today they don't implement fencing in a way that would block
> >> speculation, once/if they do they'll absolutely need to be inlined, even
> >> if -fno-inline or -fno-early-inlining are passed.
> >>
> >> Signed-off-by: Alejandro Vallejo <alejandro.garciavallejo@xxxxxxx>
> > Reviewed-by: Michal Orzel <michal.orzel@xxxxxxx>
> >
> > but this should be done for Arm, RISCV and PPC at once in which case you can
> > keep my tag for v2 # for Arm.
>
> I previously had a patch series which made this all common, for these
> kinds of reasons.
>
> I think I'd prefer to kick that over the line, than to keep on taking
> micro-bugfixes like this.

for reference:
    
https://lore.kernel.org/all/20240304161041.3465897-1-andrew.cooper3@xxxxxxxxxx/

I wouldn't mind that, I can R-by it if you resend it. I'll still send a
v2 of this on the grounds that it's a strict improvement over existing
matters and might land faster.

Cheers,
Alejandro

>
> ~Andrew




 


Rackspace

Lists.xenproject.org is hosted with RackSpace, monitoring our
servers 24x7x365 and backed by RackSpace's Fanatical Support®.