[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [PATCH] Xen/gnttab: improve error handling in gnttab_dma_{alloc,free}_pages()
- To: Jan Beulich <jbeulich@xxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- From: Juergen Gross <jgross@xxxxxxxx>
- Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2026 10:12:17 +0200
- Authentication-results: eu.smtp.expurgate.cloud; dkim=pass header.s=susede1 header.d=suse.com header.i="@suse.com" header.h="From:Date:Message-ID:To:Cc:MIME-Version:Content-Type:In-Reply-To:References:Autocrypt"; dkim=pass header.s=susede1 header.d=suse.com header.i="@suse.com" header.h="From:Date:Message-ID:To:Cc:MIME-Version:Content-Type:In-Reply-To:References:Autocrypt"
- Authentication-results: smtp-out1.suse.de; none
- Autocrypt: addr=jgross@xxxxxxxx; keydata= xsBNBFOMcBYBCACgGjqjoGvbEouQZw/ToiBg9W98AlM2QHV+iNHsEs7kxWhKMjrioyspZKOB ycWxw3ie3j9uvg9EOB3aN4xiTv4qbnGiTr3oJhkB1gsb6ToJQZ8uxGq2kaV2KL9650I1SJve dYm8Of8Zd621lSmoKOwlNClALZNew72NjJLEzTalU1OdT7/i1TXkH09XSSI8mEQ/ouNcMvIJ NwQpd369y9bfIhWUiVXEK7MlRgUG6MvIj6Y3Am/BBLUVbDa4+gmzDC9ezlZkTZG2t14zWPvx XP3FAp2pkW0xqG7/377qptDmrk42GlSKN4z76ELnLxussxc7I2hx18NUcbP8+uty4bMxABEB AAHNH0p1ZXJnZW4gR3Jvc3MgPGpncm9zc0BzdXNlLmNvbT7CwHkEEwECACMFAlOMcK8CGwMH CwkIBwMCAQYVCAIJCgsEFgIDAQIeAQIXgAAKCRCw3p3WKL8TL8eZB/9G0juS/kDY9LhEXseh mE9U+iA1VsLhgDqVbsOtZ/S14LRFHczNd/Lqkn7souCSoyWsBs3/wO+OjPvxf7m+Ef+sMtr0 G5lCWEWa9wa0IXx5HRPW/ScL+e4AVUbL7rurYMfwCzco+7TfjhMEOkC+va5gzi1KrErgNRHH kg3PhlnRY0Udyqx++UYkAsN4TQuEhNN32MvN0Np3WlBJOgKcuXpIElmMM5f1BBzJSKBkW0Jc Wy3h2Wy912vHKpPV/Xv7ZwVJ27v7KcuZcErtptDevAljxJtE7aJG6WiBzm+v9EswyWxwMCIO RoVBYuiocc51872tRGywc03xaQydB+9R7BHPzsBNBFOMcBYBCADLMfoA44MwGOB9YT1V4KCy vAfd7E0BTfaAurbG+Olacciz3yd09QOmejFZC6AnoykydyvTFLAWYcSCdISMr88COmmCbJzn sHAogjexXiif6ANUUlHpjxlHCCcELmZUzomNDnEOTxZFeWMTFF9Rf2k2F0Tl4E5kmsNGgtSa aMO0rNZoOEiD/7UfPP3dfh8JCQ1VtUUsQtT1sxos8Eb/HmriJhnaTZ7Hp3jtgTVkV0ybpgFg w6WMaRkrBh17mV0z2ajjmabB7SJxcouSkR0hcpNl4oM74d2/VqoW4BxxxOD1FcNCObCELfIS auZx+XT6s+CE7Qi/c44ibBMR7hyjdzWbABEBAAHCwF8EGAECAAkFAlOMcBYCGwwACgkQsN6d 1ii/Ey9D+Af/WFr3q+bg/8v5tCknCtn92d5lyYTBNt7xgWzDZX8G6/pngzKyWfedArllp0Pn fgIXtMNV+3t8Li1Tg843EXkP7+2+CQ98MB8XvvPLYAfW8nNDV85TyVgWlldNcgdv7nn1Sq8g HwB2BHdIAkYce3hEoDQXt/mKlgEGsLpzJcnLKimtPXQQy9TxUaLBe9PInPd+Ohix0XOlY+Uk QFEx50Ki3rSDl2Zt2tnkNYKUCvTJq7jvOlaPd6d/W0tZqpyy7KVay+K4aMobDsodB3dvEAs6 ScCnh03dDAFgIq5nsB11j3KPKdVoPlfucX2c7kGNH+LUMbzqV6beIENfNexkOfxHfw==
- Cc: Stefano Stabellini <sstabellini@xxxxxxxxxx>, Oleksandr Tyshchenko <oleksandr_tyshchenko@xxxxxxxx>, Oleksandr Andrushchenko <oleksandr_andrushchenko@xxxxxxxx>
- Delivery-date: Tue, 06 Oct 2026 08:12:43 +0000
- List-id: Xen developer discussion <xen-devel.lists.xenproject.org>
On 16.02.26 09:55, Jan Beulich wrote:
Both decrease-reservation and populate-physmap can succeed partially. For
the former this may be pretty unlikely, but clearly the latter can hit
both out-of-memory conditions in the hypervisor or denial because of the
allocation exceeding the domain's allowance (there's no interaction with
the balloon driver here either).
In gnttab_dma_free_pages() we simply can't give back to the system what
hasn't been re-filled with backing memory. For gnttab_dma_alloc_pages()
both parts of the overall region need dealing with differently.
While no present caller of gnttab_dma_free_pages() checks its return
value, also don't use -EFAULT there: It really is an out-of-memory
condition. (In gnttab_dma_alloc_pages() -EFAULT doesn't look quite right
either, but I couldn't think of a clearly better error code there.)
Fixes: 9bdc7304f536 ("xen/grant-table: Allow allocating buffers suitable for
DMA")
Signed-off-by: Jan Beulich <jbeulich@xxxxxxxx>
---
I'm likely screwing things up, as I can't understand how this is intended
to work: args->dev_bus_addr shouldn't really be in pseudo-physical address
space, or else the address isn't suitable for handing to a device in order
to DMA to/from it. Hence using __phys_to_pfn() on it to then hand the
result to pfn_to_page() feels bogus. Was all of this perhaps only ever
intended for (tested with) translated domains? With the uses of
xenmem_reservation_va_mapping_*() only being masquerade?
I finally forced myself to look into this maze.
gnttab_dma_alloc_pages() will only be called via
gntdev_ioctl_dmabuf_exp_from_refs(), which has:
if (xen_pv_domain()) {
pr_debug("Cannot provide dma-buf in a PV domain\n");
return -EINVAL;
}
at its top.
I'll setup a patch making this clear.
Are you fine with me taking your patch and cleaning it up regarding the
use of xenmem_reservation_va_mapping_update()?
Furthermore the allocated buffer ought to have been contiguous in
machine / DMA space. Yet the way it's re-populated upon freeing of the
area doesn't guarantee that at all.
All of what is done assumes dma_free_{coherent,wc,attr}() is capable of
freeing piecemeal. I only checked dma_release_from_dev_coherent() to
fulfill this requirement. If this can't be relied upon, please consider
this submission as merely a bug report (for someone else to fix).
Something I'll look into at some time...
Juergen
Attachment:
OpenPGP_0xB0DE9DD628BF132F.asc
Description: OpenPGP public key
Attachment:
OpenPGP_signature.asc
Description: OpenPGP digital signature
|