[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [PATCH 01/28] hw: mark secure machines for x86, s390, ppc, arm, loonarch, riscv



On 5/10/26 15:23, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
On Mon, Oct 05, 2026 at 03:06:08PM +0200, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote:
Hi,

On 11/9/26 16:36, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
The versioned machine types are typically present for use in
virtualization use cases and can be expected to provide a security
barrier. The only exceptions are the m68k versioned machine types
which are only used with TCG. There are also a handful of other
machines declared secure in docs/system/security.rst, notably
the Xen machine variants and microvm.

Signed-off-by: Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx>
---
   hw/arm/virt.c              | 1 +
   hw/arm/xen-pvh.c           | 1 +
   hw/i386/microvm.c          | 1 +
   hw/i386/pc_piix.c          | 4 ++--
   hw/i386/xen/xen-pvh.c      | 1 +
   hw/loongarch/virt.c        | 2 ++
   hw/ppc/spapr.c             | 1 +
   hw/riscv/virt.c            | 1 +
   hw/s390x/s390-virtio-ccw.c | 1 +
   hw/xen/xen-pvh-common.c    | 1 +
   hw/xenpv/xen_machine_pv.c  | 2 +-
   include/hw/i386/pc.h       | 1 +
   12 files changed, 14 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)

This patch should be split per machine / area of maintenance,
so maintainers can officially Ack their commitment to security
boundary for their machine.

I'm not sure LoongArch / RISCV / PPC are. If this was previously
discussed, then pointer to the public discussions should be listed
in the patch description.

Those are explicitly documented here:

   https://www.qemu.org/docs/master/system/security.html#virtualization-use-case

so this patch is just encoding what has already been defined.

I probably missed when this was accepted, we are good then!

That said, 1/ Nitro Enclave are missing and 2/ this series organization
is not easy to follow to me: I'd rather a per-machine approach, with a
'info qom-tree' output justifying the devices, then finish the series
with busses-based devices expected to be secure. I dont quite follow
this approach. I'm not asking to redo the series since it is already
reviewed.



 


Rackspace

Lists.xenproject.org is hosted with RackSpace, monitoring our
servers 24x7x365 and backed by RackSpace's Fanatical Support®.