[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [PATCH v1 0/1] [RISC-V] replace SBI early console with 8250 UART





On 9/28/26 10:40 AM, Zhang Zheng wrote:
On Mon, Sep 28, 2026 at 09:38:14AM +0200, Oleksii Kurochko wrote:


On 9/28/26 4:38 AM, Zhang Zheng wrote:
The legacy SBI console extension is planned for deprecation. Replace the
RISC-V early printk backend with direct access to 8250 UART MMIO.

Won't it better just to start to add support of newer SBI? It provides
pretty good support + faster as it supports passing of string instead of one
char.


Using the newer SBI DBCN extension would indeed result in a smaller change. At
the time, I mainly followed the direction suggested by the TODO and referred
directly to the arm64 implementation, from which most of the code was adapted.

I think TODO was written at that way because I missed DBCN (or it wasn't ratified at that moment). Considering that it is ratified now ...


Also, I think it will lead to lesser changes.


If falling back to SBI console putchar is acceptable, DBCN should work
well here.

... I prefer to use SBI functionality (in the current case DBCN) as maximum as possible so if there is no any reason (and I don't see at the moment it) which doesn't allow us to use DBCN here, I would prefer to use DBCN.

If you still want to in the way suggested by TODO then some parts which are common between Arm and RISC-V should be moved to common instead of introducing them in RISC-V specific folder.

Let me know which approach you are going to follow. If the current one you already introduced then I will start to review it, if you will go SBI-way then I prefer to wait for your v2.

~ Oleksii


This also addresses truncated output observed on SpacemiT K3 when
switching from early printk to dtuart. Direct UART access lets early
printk flush the UART after each string before the dtuart driver takes
over and clear it's FIFO, which cause the truncated uart output.>
The truncated uart looks like:

    (XEN) Command line: dtuart=/soc/uart@d4017000:115200/921600 console=dtuart 
sync_console
    (XEN) Domain heap initialised
    (XEN) Booting using Device Tree
    (XEN) /home/zz/dev/git/xen_stuff/xen/xen/arch/riscv/cpufeature.c:710: SSTC 
detected; supported for Xen use, but not for guests
    (XEN) Looking for dtuart at "/soc/uart@d40 __  __            _  _    ____  
_____                    _        _     _
     \ \/ /___ _ __   | || |  |___ \|___ /    _   _ _ __  ___| |_ __ _| |__ | | 
___
      \  // _ \ '_ \  | || |_   __) | |_ \ __| | | | '_ \/ __| __/ _` | '_ \| 
|/ _ \
      /  \  __/ | | | |__   _| / __/ ___) |__| |_| | | | \__ \ || (_| | |_) | | 
 __/
     /_/\_\___|_| |_|    |_|(_)_____|____/    \__,_|_| 
|_|___/\__\__,_|_.__/|_|\___|

    (XEN) Xen version 4.23-unstable (zz@) (riscv64-linux-gnu-gcc (GCC) 15.1.0) 
debug=y ubsan=y Sat Sep 26 14:50:31 CST 2026
    (XEN) Latest ChangeSet: Fri Sep 18 10:11:27 2026 +0800 git:77544a69ea

Zheng Zhang (1):
    xen/riscv: replace SBI early console with 8250 UAR

   xen/arch/riscv/Kconfig.debug              | 53 ++++++++++++++++++++--
   xen/arch/riscv/configs/tiny64_defconfig   |  2 +
   xen/arch/riscv/early_printk.c             | 37 +++++++---------
   xen/arch/riscv/include/asm/early_printk.h | 12 +++++
   xen/arch/riscv/include/asm/fixmap.h       |  6 ++-
   xen/arch/riscv/include/asm/sbi.h          |  7 ---
   xen/arch/riscv/mm.c                       | 41 +++++++++++++----
   xen/arch/riscv/riscv64/Makefile           |  1 +
   xen/arch/riscv/riscv64/debug-8250.inc     | 51 +++++++++++++++++++++
   xen/arch/riscv/riscv64/debug.S            | 54 +++++++++++++++++++++++
   xen/arch/riscv/sbi.c                      |  5 ---
   11 files changed, 223 insertions(+), 46 deletions(-)
   create mode 100644 xen/arch/riscv/riscv64/debug-8250.inc
   create mode 100644 xen/arch/riscv/riscv64/debug.S

base-commit: 4c1aba82cff95ab11f7fe4af8965a06703537288





 


Rackspace

Lists.xenproject.org is hosted with RackSpace, monitoring our
servers 24x7x365 and backed by RackSpace's Fanatical Support®.