[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [PATCH] ns16550: find the console UART on PCI when there is no legacy one



Jan Beulich <jbeulich@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> Is there a spec that you could point to here?

Unfortunately not really, just an upstream Linux commit from 2017 
(<https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=3bfd1300abfe3adb18e84a89d97a0e82a22124bb>
), and the fact that I’ve tested it on EC2 bare metal boxes. The bare metal
boxes are being phased out, but people still use them.

> This needs to be split to a separate patch, and not only because right
> now you’re doing two entirely unrelated things in a single change. The
> addition of the Amazon device is likely uncontroversial, so presumably
> can go in quickly.

Yes, agreed. I will split and separately submit them.

> Doing a scan when none was asked for, otoh, is
> potentially problematic: What if there’s an issue during scanning? With
> not having any output set up yet, we couldn’t even indicate the problem,
> and a possible crash would also go entirely silently.

Yep, thanks. I will see if I can address these with a different version of
the autoscan patch as a followup.



 


Rackspace

Lists.xenproject.org is hosted with RackSpace, monitoring our
servers 24x7x365 and backed by RackSpace's Fanatical Support®.