Re: Disaggregated (Xoar) Dom0 Building

Hi Teddy,

You are actually on track with what I was thinking in this area which initially
gave me 2 main ideas:

1. Take the NOVA Microhypervisor (very small TCB at only 5K LOC) and try to get
QEMU or Bhyve integrated as the VMM which would require a huge amount of
development time.  The Genode framework has a configuration/compile approach
that uses NOVA with a custom VirtualBox, but I did not want to go that route.

2. Take the Alpine XEN distro as the base and then update the dated Xoar
patches which effectively breaks Dom0 into 9 Service and Driver Mini/Nano VMs
for which I was thinking about further setting them up as ultra-thin Unikernels
(MirageOS, IncludeOS, etc.) but still researching.

My effort is to make a purely Ultra-Thin RAM-Based Xen Hypervisor that boots
UEFI for modern systems. Plus a number of other features if all goes well.

Your ideas of QEMU as a Unikernel would probably really work for both XEN and
NOVA (with a bit of work on the NOVA side). I actually liked NOVA and
experimented with it a while back being able to produce a very lightweight
Microhypervisor ISO that would boot and do some simple things and even fire up
lightweight Linux instances but with very limited capabilities, of course, just
to see if it worked. Unfortunately, that direction although very interesting,
would definitely take too much development to make a viable and more complete
hypervisor.  I did like that you could easily start with no VM and easily start
one or more and then use Hot-Keys to flip between consoles. That was pretty
cool and is something that I would like to see about working into this XEN
effort as well maybe some config file in the Xen.efi directory for that or
something but am still thinking about it.

I think that perhaps the Alpine-XEN-Xoar approach could be benefitual but XEN,
plus supporting libraries is still a bit larger than I would have hoped
although you get more capabilities and more of a solid hypervisor as well, I
think.  Maybe we can chat more about things if you like.

Best,
Lonnie