Re: Proposal to Extend Feature Freeze Deadline

Hi Oleksii,

If there are no objections by tomorrow, let's assume by lazy consensus that we will extend the timeline by a week.
If anyone objects to this, please reply to this email.

Many thanks,
Kelly Choi

Community Manager
Xen Project

On Wed, May 15, 2024 at 4:13 AM Henry Wang <xin.wang2@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Oleksii,

On 5/14/2024 11:43 PM, Andrew Cooper wrote:
> On 14/05/2024 4:40 pm, Oleksii K. wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> We're observing fewer merged patches/series across several
>> architectures for the current 4.19 release in comparison to previous
>> release.
>>
>> For example:
>> 1. For Arm, significant features like Cache Coloring and PCI
>> Passthrough won't be fully merged. Thus, it would be beneficial to
>> commit at least the following two patch series:
>> [1]https://lore.kernel.org/xen-devel/20240511005611.83125-1-xin.wang2@xxxxxxx/
>>
>> [2]https://lore.kernel.org/xen-devel/20240424033449.168398-1-xin.wang2@xxxxxxx/
>>
>> 2. For RISC-V, having the following patch series [3], mostly reviewed
>> with only one blocker [4], would be advantageous (As far as I know,
>> Andrew is planning to update his patch series):
>> [3]https://lore.kernel.org/xen-devel/cover.1713347222.git.oleksii.kurochko@xxxxxxxxx/
>> [4]
>> https://patchew.org/Xen/20240313172716.2325427-1-andrew.cooper3@xxxxxxxxxx/
>>
>> 3. For PPC, it would be beneficial to have [5] merged:
>> [5]
>> https://lore.kernel.org/xen-devel/cover.1712893887.git.sanastasio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/
>>
>> Extending the feature freeze deadline by one week, until May 24th,
>> would provide additional time for merges mentioned above. This, in
>> turn, would create space for more features and fixes for x86 and other
>> common elements. If we agree to extend the feature freeze deadline,
>> please feel free to outline what you would like to see in the 4.19
>> release. This will make it easier to track our final goals and
>> determine if they are realistically achievable.
>>
>> I'd like to open the floor for discussion on this proposal. Does it
>> make sense, and would it be useful?
> Considering how many people are blocked on me, I'd welcome a little bit
> longer to get the outstanding series/fixes to land.

It would be great if we can extend the deadline for a week, thank you! I
will try my best to make progress of the two above-mentioned Arm series.

Kind regards,
Henry