Re: Devise macros to encapsulate (x & -x)

Jan, would you be willing to accept that other maintainers have a
preference for having a single MACRO even if suboptimal?

I can live with that, even if I'm surprised by this perspective that others
take. How can we, in reviews, tell people to make sure arguments are
evaluated only once, when then we deliberately do otherwise in a case like
the one here? The criteria of "not likely to be used in cases that have
side effects" is an extremely fuzzy and sufficiently weak one, imo. I for one am even worried about the uses in MASK_EXTR() / MASK_INSR(), and would
have considered introducing single-evaluation forms there as well.

If so, can we go ahead and commit the original patches?

Well, the renaming needs to be done there anyway.

I can do the renaming if you don't feel particularly safe doing it on commit. I already modified my local version to do experiments with single evaluation anyway.

--
Nicola Vetrini, BSc
Software Engineer, BUGSENG srl (https://bugseng.com)