Re: Clang-format configuration discussion - pt 1

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 14, 2023 at 02:59:35PM +0000, Luca Fancellu wrote:

> >> Ok, maybe I understand your point, you are looking for a reason to declare
> >> this configurable instead
> >> of not specifying it at all?
> >
> > Not really, no. Here I was merely saying that with the styles being
> > sufficiently different, what Linux uses is probably not very significant
> > for our own decision.
> >
> >> If it’s that, from what I understand clang-format will use the default
> >> value if we don’t specify anything
> >> for this one, so it will take ‘Latest’. I think we should put a value for
> >> this one to fix it and don’t have
> >> surprises if that behaviour changes and seeing that also in Linux that
> >> value is fixed increased my
> >> confidence.
> >>
> >> However, if you feel that we should not specify it, I’ve done a test and
> >> not specifying it is not changing
> >> the current output. I can’t say that for a different clang-format version
> >> though or if changes happen in the
> >> future.
> >
> > It's fine to set values. All I'm saying is that at least I would prefer
> > if it was also clear what exact effect the setting of a value has,
> > especially when that does not really match the language we use in the
> > project.
On C, allegedly, none. It ought to control defaults for things like
SpaceBeforeCpp11BracedList, SpacesInAngles and other C++-specific things,
because the C++ language sticks syntactical extensions every other Tuesday.
Alas, whatever it does (there's no full list). I'd feel a lot more
comfortable knowing it won't change under our feet.

For reference, clang-format's docs state as an example:

```
c++03:                                 latest:
vector<set<int> > x;           vs.     vector<set<int>> x;
```

> Yes I agree, I think Alejandro’s reply to this configurable reflects my
> thoughts about it.
>
> So if we all agree that we should set this parameter, do we all agree that it
> should be the
> value above?
>
> Do you have other concerns regarding this or the other parameters in this
> thread?

Cheers,
Alejandro