Re: Informal voting proposal

Hi Kelly,

On 06/11/2023 16:40, Kelly Choi wrote:
Hi all,

As an open-source community, there will always be differences of opinion in
approaches and the way we think. It is imperative, however, that we view
this diversity as a source of strength rather than a hindrance.

Recent deliberations within our project have led to certain matters being
put on hold due to an inability to reach a consensus. While formal voting
procedures serve their purpose, they can be time-consuming and may not
always lead to meaningful progress.

Having received agreement from a few maintainers already, I would like to
propose the following:

Thanks for the sending the proposal. While I like the idea of informal vote to move faster, I would like to ask some clarifications.

*Informal voting method:*

    1. Each project should ideally have more than 2 maintainers to
    facilitate impartial discussions. Projects lacking this configuration will
    be addressed at a later stage.
    2. Anyone in the community is welcome to voice their opinions, ideas,
    and concerns about any patch or contribution.
    3. If members cannot agree, the majority informal vote of the
    maintainers will be the decision that stands. For instance, if, after
    careful consideration of all suggestions and concerns, 2 out of 3
    maintainers endorse a solution within the x86 subsystem, it shall be the
    decision we move forward with.

How do you know that all the options have been carefully considered?

    4. Naturally, there may be exceptional circumstances, as such, a formal
    vote may be warranted but should happen only a few times a year for serious
    cases only.
Similarly here, you are suggesting that a formal vote can be called. But it is not super clear what would be the condition it could be used and how it can be called.

For instance, per the informal rule, if 2 out of 3 maintainers accept. Then it would be sensible for the patch to be merged as soon as the 5 days windows is closed. Yet the 3rd maintainer technically object it. So could that maintainer request a formal vote? If so, how long do they have?

    5. Informal votes can be as easy as 2 out of 3 maintainers providing
    their Acked-by/Reviewed-by tag. Alternatively, Maintainers can call an
    informal vote by simply emailing the thread with "informal vote proposed,
    option 1 and option 2."
    6. *All maintainers should reply with their vote within 5 working days.*

While I understand we want to move fast, this means that a maintainer that is away for PTO would not have the opportunity to answer.

Cheers,

--
Julien Grall