Re: [RFC 1/7] x86/iommu: make AMD-Vi and Intel VT-d support configurable

On 12/20/22 23:00, Andrew Cooper wrote:
On 20/12/2022 8:57 pm, Xenia Ragiadakou wrote:

On 12/20/22 19:01, Jan Beulich wrote:
On 19.12.2022 07:34, Xenia Ragiadakou wrote:
Currently, for x86 platforms, Xen does not provide to the users any
configuration control over the IOMMU support and can only be built with
both AMD and Intel IOMMU drivers enabled.
However, there are use cases, e.g in safety-critical systems, that
require
Xen to be able to be configured to exclude unused code. A smaller
tailored
configuration would help Xen to meet faster certification
requirements for
individual platforms.

Introduce two new Kconfig options, AMD_IOMMU and INTEL_VTD, to allow
code
specific to each IOMMU technology to be separated and, when not
required,
stripped. AMD_IOMMU enables IOMMU support for platforms that
implement the
AMD I/O Virtualization Technology. INTEL_VTD enables IOMMU support for
platforms that implement the Intel Virtualization Technology for
Directed I/O.

Since no functional change is intended regarding the default
configuration
of an x86 system, both options depend on x86 and default to 'y'.

But do things also build successfully when one or both options are
disabled?
I have to say that I would be quite surprised if that worked without
further
adjustments. In which case initially these options want to be
prompt-less,
with the prompts only added once 'n' also works.

Without applying the whole series, disabling any of them or both won't
work. Ok.

To do a multi-step implementation, you start with

config FOO
     bool y

Here, I think you mean def_bool y

then rearrange them main code to use CONFIG_FOO as appropriate, then
have a final patch that adds a Kconfig name, help text, etc which is
what makes the config option user selectable and able to be turned off.

Thank you both, for pointing that out. I will fix it.

~Andrew

--
Xenia