Release checklist and qemu-xen-traditional

(Adding xen-devel to the CC list.)

Hi, Henry.  Pleaed to "meet" you.  To answer your questions:

> > > (1) Why do the instructions say to branch that repo?
> > > (2) Where can we find this repo?
> > > (3) Is this repo used anywhere since the 4.16 release?
> > > (4) Is this repo used elsewhere in the release process?

This repo is this one.  I think it is still used during some builds.
See this line in Config.mk:

  QEMU_TRADITIONAL_URL ?=
http://xenbits.xen.org/git-http/qemu-xen-traditional.git

It is very old and we have been slowly deprecating it.  (The copy on
my workstation was called qemu-iwj.git for historical reasons which
aren't relevant, but that's how that got into the checklist.)

The release checklist will also instruct the release technician to
update the pinning in Config.mk to the tag.  For example, Config.mk in
RELEASE-4.16.0 says this:

  QEMU_TRADITIONAL_REVISION ?= xen-4.16.0

This needs to be updated so that people who get 4.16 don't get any
changes that are made to the "master" branch in qemu-xen-traditional.
The same will be true for 4.17, if it qemu-xen-traditional hasn't
been completely abolished there yet.

> > These instructons relate to my local clone of qemu-xen-traditional,
> > and will need adjustment.
>
> Thanks for your reply! It would be good for you to clarify what adjustments
> we need to do. That said, I completely understand that you are quite busy
> today, so...

A clone of qemu-xen-traditional ought to do for this.  My tree here,
rescued from my old Citrix workstation, has this for the "origin"
remote:
  xenbits.xen.org:/home/xen/git/qemu-xen-traditional.git

I hope this is helpful.  If you want to talk through it some more,
ping me on irc.  I'm Diziet on oftc.  I usually lurk on #xendevel
(although I fell off at some point and only just rejoined), or you
may send me a private message.

Regards,

Ian Jackson <ijackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>   These opinions are my own.

Pronouns: they/he.  If I emailed you from @fyvzl.net or @evade.org.uk,
that is a private address which bypasses my fierce spamfilter.