Re: [Xen-devel] HVM Driver Domain

Hi Marek,

Thanks for your response. The server machine I am using for this setup is an
x86_64 Intel Xeon. For the Dom0, I am using Ubuntu 18.04 running on kernel
version 5.0.0-37-generic. My Xen version is 4.9.2.

For the HVM driver domain, I am using Ubuntu 18.04 running on kernel version
5.0.0-23-generic. I am doing a NIC PCI passthrough to this domain. The Xen
config file for this domain looks like the following.

builder = "hvm"
name = "ubuntu-doment-hvm"
memory = "2048"
pci = [ '01:00.0,permissive=1' ]
vcpus = 1
disk = ['phy:/dev/vg/ubuntu-hvm,hda,w']
vnc = 1
boot="c"

I have installed xen-tools of version 4.7 in this driver domain so that the
vif-scirpts work. The network configuration here looks like the following where
ens5f0 is the interface name for the NIC I did passthrough.

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface ens5f0 inet manual

auto xenbr1
iface xenbr1 inet static
        bridge_ports ens5f0
        address 192.168.1.3
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        gateway 192.168.1.1

The Xen config file content for the DomU is as the following.

name = "ubuntu_on_ubuntu"
bootloader = "/usr/lib/xen-4.9/bin/pygrub"
memory = 1024
vcpus = 1
vif = [ 'backend=ubuntu-domnet-hvm,bridge=xenbr1' ]
disk = [ '/dev/vg/lv_vm_ubuntu_guest,raw,xvda,rw' ]

When I try to launch this DomU, I get the following error.

libxl: error: libxl_nic.c:652:libxl__device_nic_set_devids: Domain 31:Unable to
set nic defaults for nic 0.

Are these configurations basically very different for what you do for Qubes?
Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
Mehrab