Re: [Xen-devel] I want to participate in Outreachy with CONFIG_PDX related project

Dear Liu,

oh, I thought that xen participates in Outreachy in order to get new contributors via easing the entrance process.
But it seems that a potential contributor to xen should already have some knowledge of xen (for example, how to find a bug, since there are no issues on github and no visible link to bugzilla). I didn't know that!
I am really sorry for this inconvenience!!!

On Wed, 2 Oct 2019 at 12:33, Wei Liu <wl@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Kateryna

Thanks for your interest in this project.

On Wed, Oct 02, 2019 at 12:37:30AM +0200, Kateryna Razumova wrote:
> Hello,
> I want to make the first contribution for xen. I want to participate with:
> Introduce CONFIG_PDX and use it in Xen hypervisor
>
> Where can I start?

Please read all reference materials for that project.

You will need to make sure you have the hardware that's capable of
running Xen. If you have read the project description and have more
specific questions, please ask.

> I have few years of C programming experience but never had contributed to
> open-source projects before.
>
> On Wed, 25 Sep 2019 at 11:27, Kateryna Razumova <katereenart@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hello xen,
> > I would like to participate in Outreachy. I was registered on the site
> few days ago, filled some quite a big form but still can't see tasks'
> descriptions.
> > Since, I like C programming I would like to know more about "Introduce
> CONFIG_PDX and use it in Xen hypervisor". What hardware do I need? I think
> I can find an old laptop with virtualization support. Also, how can I start

Yes. Find a laptop with virtualisation support. Install your choice of
virtualisation software, and then install a Xen system from source in it.

For contributing, I suggest you clone xen.git from

   https://xenbits.xen.org/git-http/xen.git

and have a look at xen/ directory, which contains the hypervisor source
code you will work on. Submit a patch or patches. They can be as easy as
fixing typos or as complex as fixing a real bug that you find.

Wei.