Re: [Xen-devel] RT Xen on ARM - R-Car series

Hello Roger,

Sorry for a delayed response.

On 07.02.19 12:35, Roger Pau Monné wrote:
I've been thinking about this with other Citrix folks, and I'm not
sure the proposed patch is a good solution. It's not possible for us
to know whether there's a kernel somewhere relying on changing the
virtual address of the runtime state area without issuing a new
hypercall.

Do you mean allocating another buffer by VM and mapping it to a virtual address
known to XEN? Or remapping existing buffer to a different virtual address?

If such kernel existed by making this change we would introduce random
memory corruption to that kernel, which would be very hard to track
and considered a regression.

I guess you actually mean that VM is trying to map another physical buffer to a
vaddr known to XEN. As I said here [1], even current implementation looks
problematic, because VM's changes in PT are not atomic from the hypervisor
point of view.
I stated that for ARM, but x86 does not seem to differ here.

Actually VM trying to make changes behind a hypervisor's back is a really bad
idea. Because the hypervisor *is* always behind the VM's back.

I think the best way to move forward is to pick my patch and introduce
a new hypercall that instead of a virtual address takes a guest
physical address. Will you be OK with this Andrii?
It might work better for this. And introducing a new interface is a chance to
get rid of a mixed legacy.

Note that the Linux kernel would also need to be modified to make use
of this new hypercall, but that's likely close to a 1 line change.I would not
say it is a 1 line change.
I think about a page alignment for the runstate area, I'd like to have it
directly accessed from XEN. I do not like `update_runstate_area()` with its all
kind of copy_to_guest, done twice a context switch.

[1] https://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2019-02/msg00164.html

--
Sincerely,
Andrii Anisov.