Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.12 Development Update

Hi Juergen,

> On 14 Jan 2019, at 10:13, Juergen Gross <jgross@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> This email only tracks big items for xen.git tree. Please reply for items you
> would like to see in 4.12 so that people have an idea what is going on and
> prioritise accordingly.
>
> You're welcome to provide description and use cases of the feature you're
> working on.
>
> = Timeline =
>
> We now adopt a fixed cut-off date scheme. We will release about every 8
> months.
> The upcoming 4.12 timeline are as followed:
>
> * Last posting date: December 14th, 2018
>  Last posting date for patches touching ARM code: December 1st, 2018
> * Hard code freeze: January 11th, 2019
>  Hard code freeze for patches touching ARM code: December 21st, 2018
> --> we are here
> * RC1: TBD
> * Release: March 7th, 2019
>
> Note that we don't have freeze exception scheme anymore. All patches
> that wish to go into 4.12 must be posted initially no later than the
> last posting date and finally no later than the hard code freeze. All
> patches posted after that date will be automatically queued into next
> release.
>
> RCs will be arranged immediately after freeze.

We should start planning on a Test Day schedule.

> We recently introduced a jira instance to track all the tasks (not only big)
> for the project. See: https://xenproject.atlassian.net/projects/XEN/issues.
>
> Some of the tasks tracked by this e-mail also have a corresponding jira task
> referred by XEN-N.
>
> I have started to include the version number of series associated to each
> feature. Can each owner send an update on the version number if the series
> was posted upstream?
>
> = Projects =
>
> == Hypervisor ==
>
> *  Improvements to domain creation (v2)
>  -  Andrew Cooper
>
> *  Argo (inter-VM communication) (v3)
>  -  Christopher Clark
>
> *  Core aware scheduling (RFC v1)
>  -  Dario Faggioli
>
> *  Core aware scheduling for credit2 (RFC v1)
>  -  Dario Faggioli
>
> === x86 ===
>
> *  hypervisor x86 instruction emulator additions for AVX512 (v7)
>  -  Jan Beulich
>
> *  qemu deprivilege (v4)
>  -  George Dunlap
>
> *  Fixes to #DB injection
>  -  Andrew Cooper
>
> *  CPUID/MSR Xen/toolstack improvements
>  -  Andrew Cooper
>
> *  Improvements to domain_crash()
>  -  Andrew Cooper
>
> === ARM ===
>
> == Completed ==
>
> *  guest resource mapping
>  -  Paul Durrant
>
> *  PV-only hypervisor
>  -  Wei Liu
>
> *  HVM-only hypervisor
>  -  Wei Liu
>
> *  Make credit2 scheduler the default
>  -  George Dunlap
>
> *  Grub2: Support PVH guest boot
>  -  Juergen Gross
>
> *  Fix VGA logdirty related display freezes with altp2m
>  -  Razvan Cojocaru
>
> *  dom0less (boot multiple domains from device tree)
>  -  Stefano Stabellini
>
> *  Implement Set/Way operations
>  -  Julien Grall

@Stefano:
Didn't the ARM KCONFIG stuff go in *after* 4.11? If so, this should probably be
added.
Can't recall the series name

Also, I think the Aggios changes went in after 4.11 was released also.
The series was "xen/arm64: Suspend preconditions and CPU hotplug fixes"

@ALL: also, for any major new features and/or enablers, we should look at the
docs and make sure they are in place and up-to-date, that SUPPORT.md is updated
and that any worthy/big enough features are listed. Also, if you contributed a
larger series/feature and it is not on this list, please let us know.

Thank you to everyone contributing to the project

Best Regards
Lars