Re: [Xen-devel] dom0/pvh: Dom0 PVH with PCI passthrough support status

Hello,

> There is some low-hanging fruit, both in Xen and the Linux kernel,
> which can really be worked in parallel by different parties, so let me
> know if you have some capacity and we can speak about sharing the
> workload.

Could you share more details about the low-hanging fruit?

Following with an update, I managed to start a PVH Dom0 with the patches from Roger’s fixes branch http://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=people/royger/xen.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/fixes-pvh-v2 and with the xen kernel tip https://kernel.googlesource.com/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/xen/tip/ (a978a5b – latest commit).

When trying to PCI passthrough a NIC to a HVM DomU guest from PVH Dom0, the host completely freezes and reboots and xl returns the following errors:

libxl: error:libxl_qmp.c:334:qmp_handle_error_reponse: Domain 1:received an error message from QMP server: Mapping machine irq 16 to pirq -1 failed: Function not implemented

libxl: error:libxl_pci.c:1300:libxl__add_pcidevs: Domain 1:libxl_device_pci_add failed: -3

libxl: error:libxl_create.c:1522:domcreate_attach_devices: Domain 1:unable to add pci devices

Is someone familiar with this problem or the next steps needed in order to make it work properly?

Steps to reproduce:

1. Start xencommons: sudo ./xen/etc/init.d/xencommons start

2. Assign PCI for NIC: sudo ./xen/sbin/xl pci-assignable-add 00:1f.6

3. Create HVM DomU: sudo ./xen/sbin/xl create domU_hvm.cfg

The grub command for xen Dom0 as found in /etc/default/grub:

GRUB_CMDLINE_XEN="dom0=pvh dom0_mem=8192M,max:8192M loglvl=all sync_console_to_ring=true com1=115200,8n1 console=com1 iommu=debug,verbose,workaround_bios_bug iommu_inclusive xen-pciback.passthrough=1"

The same problem is present if the above command does not contain ‘xen-pciback.passthrough=1’.

I attached to this mail the ‘lspci -v’ output for NIC and domU config file.

Thanks,

Alex.

Amazon Development Center (Romania) S.R.L. registered office: 27A Sf. Lazar Street, UBC5, floor 2, Iasi, Iasi County, 700045, Romania. Registered in Romania. Registration number J22/2621/2005.