Re: [Xen-devel] Backports to stable

On Mon, Oct 08, 2018 at 03:29:06AM -0600, Jan Beulich wrote:
> > I'd like to propose backporting GCC7/8 fixes to all stable branches. Below
> > is a list up to stable-4.6, but some of the patches are already on
> > select branches (developed during that release cycle, or already
> > backported).
>
> I continue to be opposed to backporting anything that is not needed
> for dealing security issues to branches which are in security-support-
> only mode, i.e. anything older than 4.8 at this point in time.

Ok, noted. It's hard to compile those still security-supported versions
on recent systems. But if one need such combination (old Xen + new other
things), then can also apply those patches locally. I just wanted to
reduce work duplication.

> Furthermore I notice that 4.6 has just moved out of security support,
> at the end of last week.

Hmm, 18+18 months from October 13, 2015 is at the end of this week.

> >     e0a97098e2 x86: fix section type mismatch in mm.c
>
> This describes itself as a Clang fix - has it become relevant for
> gcc now too?

Yes, for gcc 8.1 at least.

> Anyway - this has been in even the original 4.7.0,
> so as per above not a candidate for any actively maintained
> branch.
>
> >     # This one doesn't apply cleanly, because acpi stuff moved
> >     # tools/firmware/hvmloader/acpi -> tools/acpi
> >     858dbaaeda libacpi: fixes for iasl >= 20180427
>
> Iirc I've applied this back to 4.8 already, and quite some time ago.

Yes, this one is missing only in 4.7 and 4.6.

--
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki