Re: [Xen-devel] Commit moratorium to staging

Hi Ian,

On 11/01/2017 04:54 PM, Ian Jackson wrote:
Julien Grall writes ("Re: Commit moratorium to staging"):
Hi Ian,

Thank you for the detailed e-mail.

On 11/01/2017 02:07 PM, Ian Jackson wrote:
Furthermore, the test is not intermittent, so a force push will be
effective in the following sense: we would only get a "spurious" pass,
resulting in the relevant osstest branch becoming stuck again, if a
future test was unlucky and got an unaffected host.  That will happen
infrequently enough.
I am not entirely sure to understand this paragraph. Are you saying that
osstest will not get stuck if we get a "spurious" pass on some hardware
in the future? Or will we need another force push?

osstest *would* get stuck *if* we got such a spurious push.  However,
because osstest likes to retest failing tests on the same host as they
failed on previously, such spurious passes are fairly unlikely.

I say "likes to".  The allocation system uses a set of heuristics to
calculate a score for each possible host.  The score takes into
account both when the host will be available to this job, and
information like "did the most recent run of this test, on this host,
pass or fail".  So I can't make guarantees but the amount of manual
work to force push stuck branches will be tolerable.

Thank you for the explanation. I agree with the force push to unblock master (and other tree I mentioned).

However, it would still be nice to find the root causes of this bug and fix it.

Cheers,

--
Julien Grall