[Xen-devel] SRIOV VF reset problems

Hi,

I'm currently looking at a problem with a pass-through SR-IOV device where the
guest driver triggers a VF reset via a back-door interface to the PF. The reset
completes successfully but, in this scenario, it is up to the PF driver running
in dom0 to restore the VF's config space. This is done by simply writing the
bytes of config space saved prior to the reset (which may or may not be against
the PCI spec) but causes a particular problem with MSI...

Because Xen has code to intercept writes to the capability, and vetoes any
writes other than those which go to the MSI control register or the mask, the
PF driver cannot restore the content MSI address register(s) after the reset.
So, the question is how best to deal with this issue? For the moment I have a
hack in place which calls pci_restore_msi_state() if an attempt is made to
write the address which seems to work around the problem for me, but does not
exactly seem like a proper solution. Thoughts anyone?

Cheers,

  Paul