Re: [Xen-devel] [Minios-devel] [RFC] Unicore Subproject Proposal

On 08.09.2017 11:46, Samuel Thibault wrote:
Hello,

I'm all for it :)

Thanks!

I won't have time to spend for contributions, but I can probably answer
questions about the existing source code, challenges with stubdomains
etc.

Thanks for your offer. Stubdomains are definitely one of the use cases for this project. Did you work with it in the past?

The only thing I'd worry about is to be clear on the scope of Unicore:
we don't want to just create another Linux kernel. Conversely, there
are efforts e.g. by Nicolas Pitre, to optionally remove features Linux
to make it smaller. It might happen that at some point Unicore and that
tiny Linux would get to the same set of features (kernel-wise, Unicore
will of course have userland libraries compiled in etc.), but AIUI
Unicore people can be reasonable enough with features that this does not
happen, just something to keep in mind: avoid poneys.

This is a good point, and I agree that we should keep this in mind. However, our original intention with Unicore is to build Unikernels/Microkernels (single application OSes) rather than to build multi-application OSes, like Linux. This simplification enables further tuning options to the OS layers.

Samuel

Thanks,

Simon

Simon Kuenzer
シモン クゥンツァー
Research Scientist,
Networked Systems and Data Analytics Group
NEC Laboratories Europe, Network Research Division
Kurfuerstenanlage 36, D-69115 Heidelberg
Tel.     +49 (0)6221 4342-264
Fax:     +49 (0)6221 4342-5264
e-mail:  simon.kuenzer@xxxxxxxxx