Re: [Xen-devel] x86: PIE support and option to extend KASLR randomization

On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 1:04 AM, Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> * Thomas Garnier <thgarnie@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> With the fix for function tracing, the hackbench results have an
>> average of +0.8 to +1.4% (from +8% to +10% before). With a default
>> configuration, the numbers are closer to 0.8%.
>>
>> On the .text size, with gcc 4.9 I see +0.8% on default configuration
>> and +1.180% on the ubuntu configuration.
>
> A 1% text size increase is still significant. Could you look at the
> disassembly,
> where does the size increase come from?

I will take a look, in this current iteration I added the .got and
.got.plt so removing them will remove a big (even if they are small,
we don't use them to increase perf).

What do you think about the perf numbers in general so far?

--
Thomas