Re: [Xen-devel] [XenSummit 2017] Notes from the PVH toolstack interface session

On 07/17/2017 10:36 AM, Roger Pau Monné wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I didn't actually take notes, so this is from the top of my head. If
> anyone took notes or remember something different, please feel free to
> correct it.
>
> This is the output from the PVH toolstack interface session. The
> participants where: Ian Jackson, Wei Liu, George Dunlap, Vincent
> Legout and myself.
>
> We agreed on the following interface for xl configuration files:
>
>     type = "hvm | pv | pvh"
>
> This is going to supersede the "builder" option present in xl. Both
> options are mutually exclusive. The "builder" option is going to be
> marked as deprecated once the new "type" option is implemented.
>
> In order to decide how to boot the guest the following options will be
> available. Note that they are mutually exclusive.
>
>     kernel = "<path>"
>     ramdisk = "<path>"
>     cmdline = "<string>"
>
> <path>: relative or full path in the filesystem.
>
> Boot directly into the kernel/ramdisk provided. In this case the
> kernel must be available somewhere in the toolstack filesystem
> hierarchy.
>
>     firmware = "ovmf | uefi | bios | seabios | rombios | pvgrub"
>
> This allows to load a firmware inside of the guest and run it in guest
> mode. Note that the firmware needs to support booting in PVH mode.
>
> There's no plan to support any bios or pvgrub ATM for PVH, those
> options are simply listed for completeness.

FYI there was a *lot* of interest in PVGRUB for PVH at the hackathon.
If we can prod the person who did the first PV grub port (pvgrub2 as
it's sometimes called) to do the same for PVH I think it would be an
important feature.

Everything else looks good to me.

 -George