Re: [Xen-devel] [For 4.9] Updating https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Project_Release_Features to reflect support status of new features

On 06/27/2017 12:33 PM, George Dunlap wrote:
On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 9:53 AM, Lars Kurth <lars.kurth@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all, (I think I CCed all stake-holders)

to finish off the release documentation for 4.9, I need to add an extra
column to https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Project_Release_Features –
because I was travelling, this dropped of my radar. There several decisions
to be made:
A) Decide which "features" to add
B) Decide on the status of the feature
C) Deal with status changes of any past features

The first goal would be to decide on A and any new "features" under C. For
B, I am OK to add "???" for now and point to this thread, until we have
concluded the discussion

Note that I tracked some of this as preparation for getting CNA status.
Items marked with * are not yet in the discussion document that I created
for the security team and which we intend to discuss at the summit.

For all of these, the naming convention is "Section in document" > "Feature"
: "Support status". The definition of support status is added at the end of
the mail: note that the text has not yet been fully agreed, but seems to
reflect fairly well how we handled stuff in the past.

== On A / B: I think we should add ==
- Resource Management > Null Scheduler : tech preview or experimental

I think that the interface is probably in a final form, the code is
complete, and there are no known bugs or issues; so I'd say tech
preview.

Dario, any opinions?

- Virtual Firmware or PV Bootloader Support (not sure which) >  x86/Boot Xen
on EFI platforms using GRUB2*  : ???

If I'm interpreting your phrase correctly, this probably goes under
"interoperability / hardware support"

- Hardware > ARM/Alternative Runtime Patching (ARM32 and ARM64): ??? [note
that this should probably have been added for 4.8, but I didn't add it]
- Hardware > ARM/System Error Protection* : ???
- Hardware > ARM/Wait for Virtual Interrupt* : ???
- Hardware > x86/AVX512/Neural Network Instructions AVX512_4VNNIW* : ???
- Hardware > x86/AVX512/Multiply Accumulation Single precision
AVX512_4FMAPS* : ???
- Device Models > DMOP (Device Model Operation Hypercall)  : ???

This is already used by default in the version of qemu released in
4.9, right?  I think I'd call that "supported".

== On C ==
- Security > Live Patching - see
https://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2017-06/threads.html#03039
- Security > Alternative 2pm : Supported – I think we should split this out
– it is currently implicitly covered under "Virtual Machine Introspection"

If we introduce a new heading "PV Protocols and Drivers" we should probably
list all the common ones as supported in this heading, e.g.
- PV Protocols and Drivers* > default (net, block, console, keyboard, mouse)
: supported

I don't think there are keyboard and mouse PV protocols.  On the other
hand, I just realized that I have no idea how one uses PV guests with
a framebuffer but no mouse.

xen/include/public/io/kbdif.h does exist it it is being used.

There are also USB and framebuffer, which I am not sure whether they should
be supported and if not, what their status is
- PV Protocols and Drivers* > USB : ???

This one has been around a long time, then languished for a bit, but
it seems has been picked up by SuSE again.

I don't *think* we're doing USB testing in osstest yet (either HVM or PVUSB).

Juergen, are you guys actively doing internal testing of PVUSB?  If so
we could probably label that as 'supported' anyway.

Yes, we do.

Juergen