Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC v2]Proposal to allow setting up shared memory areas between VMs from xl config file

Hi,

On 22/06/17 22:05, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
When we encounter an id IDx during "xl create":

  + If it’s not under /local/shared_mem:
    + If the corresponding entry has a "master" tag, create the
      corresponding entries for IDx in xenstore
    + If there isn't a "master" tag, say error.

  + If it’s found under /local/shared_mem:
    + If the corresponding entry has a "master" tag, say error
    + If there isn't a "master" tag, map the pages to the newly
      created domain, and add the current domain and necessary information
      under /local/shared_mem/IDx/slaves.

Aside from using "gfn" instead of gmfn everywhere, I think it looks
pretty good.

I would leave out permissions and cacheability attributes from this
version of the work. I would just add a note saying that memory will be
mapped as RW regular cacheable RAM. Other permissions and cacheability
will be possible, but they are not implemented yet.

Well, I think we should design the interface correctly from the beginning to facilitate future extension.

Also, you need to clarify what you mean by "regular cacheable RAM". Are they write-through, write-back...? But, on ARM, this would only be the caching attribute in stage-2 page table. The final caching, memory type, shareability would be a combination of stage-2 and stage-1 attributes.

Cheers,

--
Julien Grall