[Xen-devel] PCI passthrough hotplugging with stubdom: create new mem mapping failed!

Hi,

I'm currently debugging why hotplugging pci devices doesn't work with the
linux based stubdom used in the next Qubes release (based on Anthony's
and Eric's patches).

When attaching a pci device to a running domain qemu in the stubdom
throws the following error:

  [00:06.0] xen_pt_region_update: Error: create new mem mapping failed! (err: 1)

It seems that the problem is that do_pci_add first triggers the qemu
device_add command (via xenstore or qmp) and then calls
xc_domain_iomem_permission. So when qemu calls xc_domain_memory_mapping
during the setup of the device it fails because the permissions aren't
configured yet.

When I just move the qemu device_add further down it indeed works.

This problem does not appear when running qemu in dom0. Probably because
dom0 has anyway permission to call xc_domain_memory_mapping.

I don't understand why this is not a problem for minios based stubdoms.
Maybe just timing?

Does the above analysis sounds correct? (I'm not really familiar with
this). If yes, where exactly should the qemu pci_add be moved?

Thanks.