Re: [Xen-devel] debian stretch dom0 + xen 4.9 fails to boot

>>> On 09.06.17 at 14:19, <Paul.Durrant@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> ..., but all this has
> got me wondering why Xen bothers to read the MBR, or the EDD info for that
> matter? EDD or MBR signatures are returned by the XENPF_firmware_info
> hypercall, and Linux does seem to have code called early on in
> xen_start_kernel() that does make such hypercalls, but it also appears to be
> able to boot happily if I put edd=off on my Xen command line, so is this code
> really necessary?

Well, that's a question to the Linux folks. I would guess there's
management code around wanting that info, but I'm not sure. Us
doing this is simply because of Linux wanting it and having no
other way to get at least some of this information (it could surely
read the MBRs, but it wouldn't be able to associate them with
BIOS drive numbers used for the other EDD information obtained).

Jan