Re: [Xen-devel] Commit moratorium for branching Xen 4.9

Hi,

On 26/05/17 07:02, Jan Beulich wrote:
On 25.05.17 at 20:00, <boris.ostrovsky@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 05/25/2017 01:46 PM, Julien Grall wrote:
On 25/05/17 18:08, Boris Ostrovsky wrote:
Is this:

https://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2017-05/msg02340.html

being deferred to the next RC (if we are having one)?

I missed that issue sorry. So far, this patch lacks of
Acked-by/Reviewed-by but as a Tested-by.

I am aware the patch that introduced the regression (efa9596e9d
"x86/mm: fix incorrect unmapping of 2MB and 1GB pages") was attempting
to prevent breaking down an EPT structure irreversibly when removing
2MB and 1GB pages. AFAIU, this commit will improve performance, but a
boot regression was introduced on AMD platforms.

The regression only affects AMD guests that have maxmem > memory.

Since we have a fix in flight my suggestion would be to release-note
this issue but not revert the offending patch.

I'm pretty convinced we can get this sorted before 4.9 goes out,
so +1 to not reverting right away. I'm not even sure is we may
notice this in osstest, as I'm uncertain whether there are any
tests with maxmem > memory.

I haven't seen any update on this patch. Shall we make a release note about the regression or will it be fixed for Xen 4.9?

Cheers,

--
Julien Grall