Re: [Xen-devel] Commit moratorium for branching Xen 4.9

Hi Boris,

On 25/05/17 18:08, Boris Ostrovsky wrote:
On 05/25/2017 11:54 AM, Julien Grall wrote:
Hi,

The patches fixing the 2 outstanding regressions have been merged.

Is this:

https://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2017-05/msg02340.html

being deferred to the next RC (if we are having one)?

I missed that issue sorry. So far, this patch lacks of Acked-by/Reviewed-by but as a Tested-by.

I am aware the patch that introduced the regression (efa9596e9d "x86/mm: fix incorrect unmapping of 2MB and 1GB pages") was attempting to prevent breaking down an EPT structure irreversibly when removing 2MB and 1GB pages. AFAIU, this commit will improve performance, but a boot regression was introduced on AMD platforms.

As the first regression was not introduced by Xen 4.9 and we lack review bandwidth, I would suggest to revert the commit efa9596e9d until we get the patch [1] reviewed.

If we managed to review it before the release, then we can consider to include both of them. But, at the moment, I would not consider the regression fixed by the commit efa9596e9d as a blocker for the release.

Cheers,

[1] https://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2017-05/msg02340.html

--
Julien Grall