Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.9 Development Update

On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 03:32:49PM +0000, Julien Grall wrote:
[...]
> > > I am thinking to re-introduce the state of a series (none, fair, ok, good,
> > > done) as it was done in the past [1].
> > >
> > > "The states are: none -> fair -> ok -> good -> done
> > >
> > > none - nothing yet
> > > fair - still working on it, patches are prototypes or RFC
> > > ok   - patches posted, acting on review
> > > good - some last minute pieces
> > > done - all done, might have bugs"
> > >

> > We (I?) ditched them because they weren't that useful.  "None" is just
> > signalling of intent, which doesn't carry enough of meaningful
> > information.  "Fair", "ok" and "good" are all subjective -- we've seen
> > "good" series slipped due to last minute issues.
> >
> > If we really want status, I would suggest more concrete status:
> >
> >   design / design.vX -> rfc / rfc.vX -> wip / wip.vX -> committed
> >
> > These are more tangible and objective.
>
> I agree this is more objective but we loose the time estimation. The number
> of revisions sent depends a lot on the contributor, complexity of the
> series... So a series tagged wip.v5 might be in better shape of one tagged
> wip.v10.

Yes, that's true. I've given up on hoping a certain thing manage to get
in a certain release. This is just how open source software development
works -- upstream has no very limited leverage on what people do. :-)

The value of revision number, imo, is that it objectively indicate if a
project is going on well or not. Say, a project in rfc.v10 or wip.v25 is
definitely alarming -- we (RM and committers) probably need to do
something process-wise to get it back on track.  That probably includes
understanding the issues / disputes between parties, provide
suggestions, mediate and sometimes make difficult decisions on various
issues.

Wei.