Re: [Xen-devel] POSIX error names and codes in PV protocols

On 01/27/2017 10:01 AM, Jan Beulich wrote:
On 26.01.17 at 18:28, <andr2000@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The problem is that it is not exposed to Linux, but I can see it
in FreeBSD [1] and the helper to convert error codes [2] there as well.
Is there any reason these are not available in Linux?
Well, the header should eventually get added there (but see also
Julien's reply as to why no-one may have cared so far).

Besides this fact,
Konrad, Stefano, are you ok that we say in the protocol file that
these are the error codes used?
As error codes are unsigned ints, what should be used in packets?
uint16_t or uint32_t?
Conventionally error codes are signed ints, and the width you
need should be mostly dictated by other structure size constraints
(i.e. if you have ample of space, int32_t may be more efficient to
access, but if you have space restrictions, then int16_t should be
fine as it can represent quite a bit larger a range than error codes
will cover in the foreseeable future).
yes, what I put in sndif now is:
/*
 * STATUS RETURN CODES.
 *
 * Status return code is zero on success and -XEN_EXX on failure.
 */
* status - int32_t, response status, zero on success and -XEN_EXX on failure
Jan