Re: [Xen-devel] Xenstore domains and XS_RESTRICT

On Wed, 18 Jan 2017, Juergen Gross wrote:
> On 18/01/17 12:03, Wei Liu wrote:

> >> As I don't get any further constructive responses even after asking for
> >> them: would patches removing all XS_RESTRICT support be accepted?
> >>

> > We don't need to actually remove it, do we? If XS_RESTRICT is not supported
> > by
> > xenstored, the client would get meaningful error code. A patch to
> > deprecate that command should be good enough, right?
>
> Uuh, no.
>
> oxenstored does support XS_RESTRICT. The longer it stays the better the
> chances someone is using it.
>
> > And sorry for the late reply, I'm still mulling over your proposal, I
> > will try to respond as soon as possible.
>
> I thought a little bit further: the idea of XS_RESTRICT is to avoid qemu
> being capable to overwrite any Xenstore entries of other domains
> including dom0.
>
> I fail to see how this should work with qemu-based backends (qdisk,
> pvusb), as those rely on paths in Xenstore writable by dom0 only.

It does not work. However, QEMU based backends can be run on a separate
QEMU. Patches were submitted by IanJ and me to run 2 QEMUs per domain,
one to provide emulation, the other to provide the backends. Not sure
what happen to them, but they were more then prototypes.

> We already have a mechanism to de-privilege the device model of a HVM
> domain without hurting the backends: ioemu-stubdom. So I believe we
> should try to make qmeu upstream usable in stubdom instead of
> introducing mechanisms limited in usability ("if you want a secure
> device model you can't use features x, y and z.").

Yes, but ioemu-stubdoms have drawbacks that make them not viable in many
scenarios. There are reasons why they are not enabled by default.
XS_RESTRICT should not replace, but complement ioemu-stubdoms. If we
remove XS_RESTRICT, what's the plan to make QEMU in Dom0 secure by
default?