Re: [Xen-devel] [BUG] Xen-4.8.0 efi/buildid.o: file not recognized/Ambiguous

>>>      efi/buildid.o: file not recognized: File format is ambiguous
>>>      efi/buildid.o: matching formats: coff-x86-64 pe-x86-64
>>
>> Just fyi: After some analysis of the binutils sources I have come to
>> the conclusion that this needs help from the binutils folks. I've just
>> sent
>> https://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2016-12/msg00374.html
>> to see if they have any advice.
>>

> Has anything come of this? I'm not sure how we can use match_priority or
> if they're saying they need to make changes to binutils. At this point
> I'm not able to compile Xen myself without local hackery.

As said on irc, I don't see how the responses we've got so far allow
for progress towards a resolution. However, I also don't see the
value of building binutils in this way, as COFF objects - afaict - would
simply be unusable (without command line override) for anyone else
too. So besides the option of us hacking around the issue, I'd like
distro maintainers of binutils packages to consider correcting their
./configure options, to produce something that's actually usable.

Jan