Re: [Xen-devel] Possible improvement to Xen Security Response Process

On Wed, 2017-01-04 at 13:02, Jan Beulich wrote:

>>>Hmm - this means 6 weeks of latency in the worst case. I don't think
>>>that's
>> reasonable.
>>
>> What if instead we adopted a model similar to Microsoft's "patch
>> Tuesday"[1] where there is always one scheduled release/disclosure
>> date per month and a second scheduled date two weeks later that is
>> used if needed. As discussed earlier in this thread we could issue
>> guidance/recommendations to the discovers on choice of disclosure date
>> - this could be along the lines of "the second Tuesday in a month that
>> is at least 14 days after the initial pre-disclosure; in cases where
>> this creates a significant delay, such as more than 4 weeks, and the
>> issue is considered to be of significant urgency due to its severity,
>> then the fourth Tuesday in the month should be considered so long as
>> this allows for a 14 day pre-disclosure period" (or something like that).
>
> Well, that'll leave us with another fuzzy thing - what does "significant
> urgency due to its severity" really mean? The more that depending on use
> case, people may have significantly differing opinions on this.

TBH I think a certain amount of fuzziness is unavoidable - I don't think
it's practical or desirable to try to foresee every possible case and
define a rule for it.

I'd rather have a (mostly) predictable schedule for our users even if
that means some fuzziness and the inevitable inconsistency it'll bring,
rather than the current model which appears chaotic to users.

Cheers,
James