Re: [Xen-devel] Inconsistent use of set_context_data()?

Hello,

> what's the point of this being used by hvmemul_read() and
> hvmemul_cmpxchg(), but (namely but not limited to) not by
> hvmemul_write()?

To do introspection work, we sometimes need to modify the guest memory,
and there are cases, namely during hibernate / resume of Windows guests,
when we need to serve the "old" version of that memory to the current
instruction reading from it for the process to work reliably.

The design choice here has been that the introspection application is
smart enough to handle writes (after all, it is the one managing the
buffer sent via vm_event reply), so it is intended behaviour.

Thanks,
Razvan