Re: [Xen-devel] Atheros WiFi - memory paging failure on driver load

On 12/07/16 04:59, Andrey Grodzovsky wrote:
Hello

Some background -

We are trying to run Qualcomm Atheros AR928X Wireless Network Adapter and have a crash right on driver load, following are our observations and questions.

Jurgen's observation -

" The Atheros card "Qualcomm Atheros AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)"  is plugged into the host system (datatron).
When I attach it to the DomU - the module "ath9k" is automatically loaded, but it gives an exception "iowrite32+0x2b/0x30".
No idea what the issue is (tried also with another Atheros Card (ath10k) - similar problem). When I try an Intel card, it works.
(the card also works on the Dom0 - so the Linux driver and HW is OK)."

Debugging -

After some investigation with kgdb and iommu trace on DomU it seems the iomap of PCI BAR for the device returns a a mapping f which first 0x1000 bytes are read only and that causes access violation when trying to write registers mapped to this area (all the regs with offset < 0x1000) - why this happens i still don't know. Register writes with offsets > 0x1000 are fine.

Running same driver on Dom0 is totally fine

Bellow the sigsev backtrace and xen dmesg from DomU

As can be seen there is ioremap_ of size 0x10000 starting at ffffc900402c0000 but as i said, i noticed that anything bellow ffffc900402c1000 is not writable (from gdb using set addr = val) and only readable while anything above this address is writeable.

Question -

Please give any advise on this issue and especially how to approach debugging this both on Domu and Dom0 and where in xen code to look for possible issues.

First of all, is this a PV or HVM domU ?

Is this BAR the same BAR which has the MSI-X table in?  For safety, Xen has to trap and emulate updates to the MSI/MSI-X configuration.  It is possible that that logic has gone wrong.

~Andrew