[Xen-devel] libxenvchan license (lGPLv2.1) and xen/include/public/COPYING license?

Hey!

I picked the list of people on this email from the git log on
tools/misc/libvchan/
(albeit this is about xen/include/public/io/libxenvchan.h).

The problem is that the 'COPYING' file in the root directory of Xen source
says:

"

Licensing Exceptions (the relaxed BSD-style license)

For the convenience of users and those who are porting OSes to run as

Xen guests, certain files in this repository are not subject to the

GPL when distributed separately or included in software packages

outside this repository."

The libxenvchan.h header file is an Lesser GPLv2.1. Which would
imply that one could ignore the giant @section LICENSE in the libxenvchan.h
and treat it as non-GPL...

But to make the matters more complicated the ./COPYING files continues
with:

"Instead we specify a much more relaxed
BSD-style license. Affected files include the Xen interface headers

(xen/include/public/COPYING), MiniOS (extras/mini-os) and various

drivers, support functions and header files within Xen-aware Linux

source trees.  In all such cases, license terms are stated at the top

of the file or in a COPYING file in the same directory. Note that

_any_ file that is modified and then distributed within a Linux kernel

is still subject to the GNU GPL.                      "

Great, so if I break this up:

 a) "Xen interface headers (xen/include/public/COPYING),"
 b) "MiniOS (..) and various drivers,"
 c) "support functions and header files with Xen-aware Linux
     source trees."

Well, libxenvchan is a).

What?

Yes, if I look in xen/include/public/COPYING it says:

"
XEN NOTICE
==========

This copyright applies to all files within this subdirectory and its
subdirectories:
  include/public/*.h
  include/public/hvm/*.h
  include/public/io/*.h

The intention is that these files can be freely copied into the source
tree of an operating system when porting that OS to run on Xen. Doing
so does *not* cause the OS to become subject to the terms of the GPL
"

and libxenvchan.h is in ./xen/include/public/io/libxenvchan.h

Also it is in FreeBSD (source tree): ./sys/xen/interface/io/libxenvchan.h

That looks to be an oversigh. The commit that introduced the file is:
commit 1a16a3351ff2f2cf9f0cc0a27c89a0652eb8dfb4