Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC for-4.8 0/6] xen/arm: Add support for mapping mmio-sram nodes into dom0

Hi Stefano,

On 25/05/16 10:43, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
For SRAM it would be normal memory uncached (?) when the property
"no-memory-wc" is not present, else TBD.

I suspect we would have to relax more MMIOs in the future. Rather than
providing a function to map, the code is very similar except the memory
attribute, I suggest to provide a list of compatible with the memory attribute
to use.

All the children node would inherit the memory attribute of the parent.

What do you think?

That would work for device tree, but we still need to rely on the
hypercall for ACPI systems.

Given that it is not easy to add an additional parameter to
XENMEM_add_to_physmap_range, I think we'll have to provide a new
hypercall to allow setting attributes other than the Xen default. That
could be done in Xen 4.8 and Linux >= 4.9.

There is no need to introduce a new hypercall. The XENMEM_add_to_physmap_batch contains an unused field ('foreign_id', to be renamed) for mapping device MMIOs (see Jan's mail [1]).

XENMEM_add_to_physmap will always map with the default memory attribute (Device_nGnRnE) and if the kernel want to use another memory attribute, it will have to use XENMEM_add_to_physmap_batch.

With the plan suggested in [2], there are no modifications required in Linux for the moment.

Regards,

[1] http://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2016-05/msg02341.html [2] http://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2016-05/msg02347.html

--
Julien Grall