Re: [Xen-devel] pvops xen_blkfront does not enforce device names

On 29/04/16 10:39, David Vrabel wrote:

>>> It has no business subverting the hda device names which
>>> are specifically for legacy devices.
>> That's one view. The other is that people moving from XenoLinux to
>> pv-ops are in trouble without it. How did you (or Citrix, if anyone of
>> them looks) deal with this when doing the transition?
> XenServer always named its PV disks as xvda etc.

The toolstack has no business trying to control how the guest chooses to
name its block devices.  The device name is private information to the
guest.

It should continue to function in exactly the same way even if the guest
admin edits their udev rules to rename it to something crazy like "&&&&".

~Andrew